View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
MissileStick
EcoModding Lurker

Water heating using ONLY the pilot light

I know it sounds crazy, but this guy claimed to have been doing it for at least 4 years. This got me thinking...

Basically, he took a propane hot water heater, set it on "Pilot Light Only" mode, and made the opening for the flue smaller. He chose not even to vent it, which at first sounded sketchy. Now I'm inclined to agree - after all, you don't need a vent for the (multiple) pilot lights in your stove. I still recommend a Carbon Monoxide detector, just to be safe.

Well, I tried it, and I can say that this has worked for me for almost a year. I (unlike the 'inventor') can mix cold water in my shower, so I just heat it as hot as I can get it. A comfy shower is about a 50/50 mix.

A couple things I love about this setup:
  • Natural gas is already one of the most efficient/inexpensive ways to heat water.
  • Since there's no thermostat control, I can take long, guilt-free showers, knowing that it won't be working any harder!
  • I don't have to compromise between turning up my water temperature VS running the heater in the dishwasher. The water is already hot enough for dishes.
  • Ditto with the washing machine.
  • My *normal* domestic hot water energy use is most people's *energy saving vacation mode*. That's just a great feeling.
  • With a 50 gallon tank I get 2-3 regular, non-conserving showers per day... on the energy that's wasted in most people's tanks.
  • If I *do* ever run out of hot water, no-one suffers but me. No dead dinos are going to come bail me out (and contribute to global warming) to satisfy my impatience. How's that for personal responsibility?