View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Question Replacing home DSL with mobile internet ?

I'd like to know what hidden costs to look out for when using mobile internet.
After seeing what the guys at work can do with their "phones", I thought " Why the hell can't I just ditch my phone line and DSL and get one of these little buggers ?

From what I gather, you are charged a fee for being on-line,( even with so called "unlimited data usage" plans ?? ) and limited to a certain amout of data per month.
I assume this means that I can only be on-line for only a few hours a month.
( There are days when I am on-line for six hours straight on this PC that I use now . )

You can't download anything without a charge - right ?
( And you can't download things such as a program right ? ) ( If you could, at what charge ? )
What about Google maps ? If I use the phone for that is there an extra charge ? What about if I do a search - is there a charge for that ?

I have also been told that mobile internet and normal internet are not the same. Does this mean that I might not be able to post anymore on this site ?
( Is there a charge for typing out something on a forum too ?? )
What about sites like Hulu ? iPhones won't play the site, but other phones will. How does streaming video work in regards to charges ?

I know you guys are probably asking why that I am asking all of this here, versus just talking to a salesperson . Well ... I don't TRUST salespeople, and I thought some of you might be savvy with this sort of thing.

If it were really a possibility to use a cell phone for my internet, I could cancel my home phone and DSL charge ( $ 65 a month ) as well as have the GPS and camera feature on me when I need it.

As far as having to watch on a tiny little screen, there are phones that have monitor hookups, as well as hookups for keyboards.

As a side benefit, think of the energy savings from using a set up like this .