View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
jkp1187
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
I usually drive a mix of urban freeways and city streets, and, not having any instant feedback, my mileage reports are always averaged over different size loads, and various traffic conditions.

Recently I had a job which had me drive a long distance empty, pick up a load which was heavy but small enough to keep covered, and return, along a lightly trafficked mostly flat 4 lane freeway.

That got me about 15% better mileage than I have been averaging recently.

It got me thinking (again) about how some people write about techniques like P&G, dwl, dwb (pulse and glide, driving with load, driving without brakes)
I just don't see how it is possible to apply these in the real world, with traffic around.

So I wonder, what kind of roads do y'all drive on?
I drive on a mix of divided highways and city streets (most with timed lights).

Your point out getting better mileage on the longer trips is interesting, though. There are two ways I can go home from work. A ~ 10 mile trip through some tunnels that go directly through the city or an ~ 27 mile trip around the north side of the city (all on interstate highways.) The first choice is usually the right one, but in the summer time traffic has been backing up a lot at the tunnels, so if I leave work anywhere near rush hour, I find it far better (and sometimes faster) to go the 27 mile route. It's also way more relaxing, as the traffic is very low compared to the 10 mile route.

I really need to compare the numbers between the longer way versus the shorter way. My trip fuel economy is really good when I take the 27 mile route, but I think I'm still burning more gas going that way.