View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #2043 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Thanks, edown! BOM fixed!

I mean it would be better to change the 5 hole bus bars to 4, but not necessary. It wouldn't be "better", it would just be less drilling of heat spreader, but maybe just leave it! hehe. It doesn't matter.

Holy cow! I just noticed something! On the back side, the 4 U shaped etches that separate the capacitors should extend down to contain the holes for B+. Then, there doesn't need to be any isolation for B+. The plated vias would be very helpful then (since B+ is right above that). Then I also use brass bolts to further help conducting from bottom to top for B+. At least, this is how I did it with the 3 prototypes, and Ben's is working really well in my car right now.

There would still need to be the isolation etches around the M- holes. Good thinking! They are going to put in plated vias!? That would take off like 1 or 1.5 hours of work soldering! Also, if 4 ounce copper is used, then the bottom side of this design will basically behave like 8 ounce copper during much of the trip from B+ to B- (it's sort of a long story why, must do grading for school tomorrow! aaaahhh!)

MCUDOGS! YOU ARE THE MAN!

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 07-20-2009 at 12:26 AM..