View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
fairdinkumfrankies -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdinkumfrankies View Post
the device is called the Electrocharger and is from VS Composites. I could not find a website, just references from the media. The other is the Poulsen Hybrid. That system drives the rear wheels by attaching to the vehicle's hub. The electric motors give a constant assist. Looks like smoke for now. Nice idea but no sales.

Poulsen Hybrid
Ok, I "kind of" know a lot about the Electrocharger. It has been in "project phase" for a lonnnnnngggggg time :

Electrocharger / Retrofit PHEV Hybrid Conversion Kit :: Sigma Automotive

It's latest incarnation seems to target RWD drive shafts, so I don't know how much it has to do with replacing power steering.

I think you are describing an earlier incarnation of the system. It added itself to the drivebelt and gave boosts to the system while use regenerative techniques to maintain battery juice. It may still be the same, but the latest pictures look a lot different from what I remember (I have a picture somewhere of the old system).

I've checked the Sigma website maybe once every 6 months for 4 years, but I haven't seen it pan out. I am also guessing that it "fits" better in larger cars, like full size trucks and stuff.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society