View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
Large cars have always been preferable to the majority—they innately appeal to the fear and or lack of control people feel over their lives.
Since I've always owned small cars (and I mean really small, like the Austin-Healey Sprite), it's very tempting to believe that, but I don't quite. It's part of the story, but not all of it. There's been a lot of creative marketing, selling not just the size but false suggestions of safety and adventure, like your nine-to-five sitting in the cubicle cowboys.

Quote:
The Beetle, while popular was bought only by individualists...
But there were a lot of individualists back in the '60s and early '70s :-) There were other small cars being imported, plus the whole set of British/Italian sports cars that got killed off by the big bumper laws. Toyota had been selling its Stout pickups on the west coast (years later, I had a '68 that I revived from an employer's junkyard) and had introduced its "Sport Truck" before the oil embargo hit. So it wasn't just that the Japanese &c jumped into a market created by the embargo: they were here before, and poised to take advantage of the opportunity...