View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #2053 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
So, I tried a new throttle idea that Joe had (you know! The guy doing the DIY EV charger!?). It's really a very good idea. It works really really well, too. OK, you basically make throttle proportional to pwmDuty*current, rather than to current or pwm duty! Now, pwmDuty is proportional to the voltage, so basically, this make the throttle proportional to POWER!!! If you want full power, push the pedal down the whole way. If you want only a little power, then only push the pedal down a little. It feels really really good. I tried it out today with Ben's controller. I just did some ramping code so the power chases the throttle rather slowly. I'll also try a PI loop so that the power will chase the throttle like you know who chases a pound of bacon, then I'll have settings for how fast the throttle response is, on a scale of like 1 to about 16, where 16 is the most responsive.

It's one of those ideas that is so simple and so pretty, that you just have to say, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKES ME MAD!!!!! HAHAHA!

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 07-22-2009 at 12:09 AM..