View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I first found this site looking to share / get information after being pulled over for driving too slow.

At least in my case the cop didn't try to write me a ticket for something which isn't illegal - my slow speed just made him suspect I might be intoxicated because it just seemed like such a strange thing to do.

Half a year and +40%mpg later I guess I should be thanking that cop.
Among other things I was inspired to look up the relevant vehicle code, and now, thanks indirectly to him, I actually drive even slower on the highway than I was at the time (45 instead of 55) with the confidence that I am not actually breaking any laws.
(Also that, contrary to popular belief, it is actually safer to drive slower Speed and Crash Risk - Executive Summary and Traffic Safety Center Newsletter Winter 2008, Volume 5, No. 1: Traffic Safety Culture: the role of speed)

And, thanks to him, I found this site, which inspired me to start making eco-mods to compliment my new driving style, which helped me go from 20mpg I was getting by hypermiling to the 26+ I am getting now.

Quote:
not everyone else on the road appreciated it.
That's why they make more than one lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?