View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
On the subject.... Attached atop the lower control arm on these cars (I have a 91 civic HB in mind) there is a rod that extends forward towards the front bumper. It terminates at the bottom of the frontmost area of the body, before the bumper. What is this called? It is not present on any other vehicles I've seen or owned. There is one hanging loose and the other side is missing on my 91 civic hb (planned for EV conversion shell). Do I really need this part? I can post pictures if no one can figure out what I'm talking about.

Anyway, very nice, detailed post. Keeping the wheels/tires on for loosening this axle nut is crucial if you intend to remove it. I did it without wheels and I used a big piece of steel and a HUGE steel pipe as a breaker bar to successfully remove them - very cumbersome. I also employed the use of a blowtorch. If a blowtorch is needed to convince the axle nut to come off, make sure to hit AROUND the nut on the outside of it, and try to hit the axle itself as little as possible. I used a MAPP gas torch for about 60 seconds, so propane may take a little longer. I dont think torching each nut for any longer than 2 minutes is necessary.
This is a Radius Rod (whoops, not a torsion bar...). It prevents the lower control arm from flexing forward or backward. Yes, you need them, and the bushings/washers that hold them in.

They connect in the front to the forward crossmember. This part is often replaced with a tubular unit that employs heim-jointed rods instead of standard bushing-type radius rods. The "upgrade", if you will, prevents the occurrence of wheel hop during launches (notorious with triangulated from suspension) and provides a more positive suspension feel, and can be made/bought rather cheaply. PM me for more information on the upgrade, so we don't go off topic here. I have the normal radius rods as well, if you need them.

Short form - Yes, you need those.

Last edited by Christ; 07-25-2009 at 12:40 AM..