View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
I would say that's not all that cold, but that really is one hell of a temperature differential to deal with. Heavy jackets don't give me the options I want. I usually layer something along the lines of a t-shirt, light long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and a light rain coat that primarily serves to block out the wind. I have a pair of fleece lined bicycling pants that do a great job at keeping me warm. They only cost $6 because Nike is discontinuing their bicycle line of clothing and the LBS's are selling the line off for next to nothing. For the hands I wear a nice pair of light ski gloves inside a borrowed pair of mittens right now.
If you don't think that's cold then I would have to say you have never been to Georgia. I know people who live in Buffalo NY and when they come down here and I tell them it's going to be in the 30's they pack a jacket, get down here and wish they had much more on. The reason is that down here it's a very very moist cold that when added to wind, makes it feel much much much colder then it really is. The wind chill factor down here can make 30 feel like low 20's - high teens.