View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Mix blue and yellow. Green.

Be envious of someone else. Green.

:P

In all seriousness, now that I've poked fun, going green is ALOT more than "10 tips". Everyone in the world, at some point, does something green, even if they don't know it or not.

First tip I'd have for you, never refer to being green as being "green". Don't put it in quotes, as the quotes tend to absord the associated feeling with being green. It's not fake, it's a mind set, and a way of life. You don't slam the door in the face of "Salesmen", do you? No, you slam the door in the face of salesmen. See the difference?

Until you truly believe that green is a mindset, a way of life, instead of just something you can turn on and off, don't expect to truly be green.

Second tip: There is absolutely no way that you can just change over night. Change is VERY difficult to accept. As a result of this truth, I always see Reel Mowers, Electric Mowers, etc... (Green items) for sale at ridiculous prices. I saw an ad the other day for a reel mower which stated "Obviously, my resolve for going "green" is greater than my inertia."

Two things about that... This guy had less than 100SqFt of yard. He uses a riding mower. That's not green.

Second thing about that ad: What did you notice about what he said? The quotes! Damn right, you're not going to stick to it, when you look at it like it's a kook-thing!.

Third tip: Learn about nature. Stop reading books, and LEARN about nature. Go for a walk in the woods. Sit on a rotting stump, watch the ants crawl, foraging for food. Count the leaves on a sapling. Listen to the sounds, smell the smells. Taste the air. You learn alot about yourself when you can breathe freely.