View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
@aloha: Your next step would be to assess the REAL price of the meat (let's use beef for example) of your choice (with all the resources, environmental impact, and government subsidy money required to put one pound of beef in your refrigerator) versus the real price of a fish that you go catch for yourself, or some non-animal protein (tofu, tempeh, seitan). Then figure out how much better the beef tastes than other more sustainable sources of protein and try to quantify the margin by which the beef tastes better with a dollar value. I've found this value to be very negative, hence I don't eat beef. This is unequivocally a "green" choice, but a choice for you to make nonetheless. I wish the subsidies were a choice too, but don't get me started on that. A good "green" choice any day of the week would be to buy organic. It's more expensive because ALL of the cost is there. Just mind what organization certified a farm as "organic." A little bit of research is required.
I don't eat beef except once in a great while. I refuse to pay for it, though, unless it's DEEP on sale. Like 1/2 off. Or free. I'll eat anything that's free, just about.