View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
alohaspirit
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Oil changes are cheaper than for most cars, due to the long service interval and small oil pan. I got five quarts of 0W20 and a M1 filter for $29.99, which is enough for 2yr/20,000mi if you follow Honda's recommendation to change the oil at 1yr/10,000mi and the filter every other oil change. Lots of the more mundane parts are compatible with Civic components.

However, CV axles, cat converters, and yes, batteries, are monster-expensive. The batteries can be refurbished for <$1000, but it's still an expense you wouldn't have with a normal car.

OT: I hope to *be* an active Insight driver. I'd drive my Insight to work on Monday if the DMV would let me. My application for a Restored Salvage title is moving at the speed of Albany, the most dysfunctional state government in the union. However, it may take me six months or so to rack up enough miles for three fuel log entries. ;-)

Thats a pretty good deal.

Its still a small shock for me. I probably havent paid more than $5 an oil change for maybe 10 years now. (but i can handle it)

Fuel log wise, you could just be like me and fill up every week or so.