View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
WaxyChicken -

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxyChicken View Post
You're lucky, Ben. You have the Duct Tape option open. In my area the adhesive melts off during the summer if it's used on a car (+120F summer highs).
for dirt cheap, follow what CFG says.
for example -
-plastic plates can be cut for wheel disks.
-2Ltr soda bottles can be cut for headlight covers.
-Home Depot PVC piping can be cooked and melted in the oven to form a new shape when it cools. (and it's dirt cheap.)
( preheat oven to about 200. insert PVC cuts into the oven [in a deep pot] Slowly turn up the oven to around 400 - oven temps vary depending on the amount of convection. The PVC will gradually melt into a thick liquid. Go outside while it's melting and dig a mold shape in the dirt. When you take out the pot with the PVC liquid, go out side and pour it GENTLY onto the dirt mold you made. Allow it to cool on it's own for a couple of hours. Ta-Da! instant cheap molded plastic.)

-rubber door mats can have their edges heated and melted together into larger single pieces to make flexible under skirts.
-Caulk can be used for filling holes and grooves (toothpaste works GREAT too, it dries rock hard and bonds well to glass and metal after left in hot sun after a couple of days. It won't stay white, you'll have to paint it.)

Do they have a "Big Trash Pickup" day where you live? Here it's about once every 3 months. Everyone tosses out the big stuff that won't fit in trash cans (old sofas, refrigerators, etc...) and the city comes around and picks it up with a front loader.
If your county does something like this in your area then spend a couple of days before pickup just driving around and seeing what's out there.
I really like this idea but I have a question. Would the PVC be outgassing toxic stuff when it is being liquified? I think you would have to take precautions if you do this. Am I right or am I thinking of a different plastic? I just don't know.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society