View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Repepping the CRX (plans and advice thread)

So, I've been rolling these ideas over and over in my head for quite a while now and I thought I would finally put them out there so I could get some comments and advice where advice is needed.

The CRX is good, but it has some problems, and I would like to fix as many of them as I can because I quite like it and don't want to regret my choice of car.

Here we go:

Visibility Issues [COMPLETE]: Visibility in the rain, and especially when it gets foggy inside, has always been a sore point for this car. Eventually I realize I just needed to replace the blades. At the same time I realized Rain X existed. Though I've not driven the car in the rain yet, preliminary hose tests suggest the Rain X treatment I gave the car to be a big success, and I give the product a big thumbs up for all of the 3 bucks it cost me. It's given me the confidence to go from here to buy some Fog X for the inside of the glass. I hope it works as well as their other products. Also, I've gone ahead and gotten some Rain X blades for cheap on Ebay, though I haven't gotten to test them out yet.

See this thread for details: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ions-9364.html

Rear wiper delete [COMPLETE]: Been meaning to do this for ages. With the rear glass Rain X'd I plan to do the delete soon. First I will have to get a plug from Honda, but eventually I hope to weld the hole shut. Heading to Honda for a grommet tomorrow, so more on that soon. This should do a decent bit cutting down on some drag.

See this thread for details: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...oval-9495.html

Alignment: Since I rather unscrupulously lowered the car a few years back, I've never gotten an alignment down. Stupid me. I'm beginning to think that's why I always feel such rolling resistance. Thoughts?

Hopefully I can give it a quick and dirty DIY alignment, but I plan to get some progressive lowering springs, sit the car on those, and have it aligned for real. Any recommendations for decent springs that won't cost me a ton? I've been slowed on this by a partially damaged thread on one of my rear shocks. Perhaps I will photograph for thoughts before I go ahead and screw myself by destroying the (expensive) tokico illumina shock I've got on there.

Brakes: I've got an intermittent vacuum leak somewhere in the master cylinder, brake booster area. I've got a spare I will throw on, hoping that it will #1 firm up the brakes and #2 stop leaking air and presumably harming fuel economy. Perhaps I will upgrade the BB/MC with integra parts so I get a bit better brake response, since I'm not very confident about mine right now. Thoughts? Anyone have a spare bb/mc from a teg laying around?

Passenger halfshaft: It sounds like it wants to blow up soon, I need to replace it. Hopefully christ is helping me out with this one soon.

Passenger mirror/camera: The camera has been taped on for too long. I need to get a stock block off plate and move the camera somewhere else so the car stops looking like crap. Anyone seen one in a junkyard or where they can be bought online reasonably? Dang things are hard to find.

LRRs: Hoping to get some soon. Secret plans, for now!

Moon discs: Need to get some steelies to mount the LRRs on, then I will drill some moondiscs on. Moon discs or pizza pans.

Other aero stuff: You can imagine.

Full hybrid insight guts swap: Exactly what it sounds like. Working on finding the guts now. When this happens it will merit it's own epic thread. Once this gets done I will be running MIMA as well, I hope.

Fluids: I've had issues with the oil light coming on intermittently with the 5w20 synthetic I've got in there. Any suggestions/ideas what I should do about it?

Water leaks: Damn thing leaks water in three places: around one of the tailights, through the open wheel well during driving, and evidently some new mystery place while sitting in the rain. GRR!

That's it. What am I missing? I've done very little but I hope to get most of this done by summer's end.