View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
naturalextraction
naturalextraction

Thanks for the response fidalgoman. I've studied Vetters information and he's long got it figured out for street motorcycles and mileage design. For me, running at Bonneville creates different problems of stability with a bullet type design. The model is utilizing ideas from the stealth configurations, if you will, in order to balance down force against uplift. Obviously you don't want any uplift even for the street. The crosswinds are a huge issue for us at Bonneville and just regular driving. Typically wind escapes through open areas over the engine and through the bike. In my design, because of my engine operating temperatures, I don't need much air and so far, in wind tunnel testing, it seems that cross winds over this design seems to add some equalized down force especially if you are already leaning into it as we often do.
yes ideally an actual bullet design is preferred. For the class I'm in and for the sake of keeping some aesthetics to the motorcycle design itself is also the experimentation of this funky fairing idea. The guy who helped with this idea is an aeronautics engineer. Of course the real test is real world driving. So I've got a bit more to do but I've got most of the fairing on the bike. There will be tweeking for sure. You really never know until you try it. Mostly just curiosity prevails.