View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
I just thought of some other questions I have not seen answered elsewhere.

Regarding the point of stagnation and the underbelly. Does the air under the car have a lower or higher pressure? I think it's a low pressure area but it's not obvious to me.

Is it better to have a sharply defined, upward sloping air dam parallel to the lowest points on the car or a bumper curved under the car from the stagnation point (like in the template?) the trailing edge of which terminates parallel to the lowest point under the car?

Thanks.
The air going under the car takes a straighter path to the rear than the air going around or over the car and according to Bernoulli's theorem,it's pressure would be higher than those other two pathways.---------------------------- With respect to the airdam.if it is no lower than the lowest undercarriage member,then it will not aggravate frontal area,causing a drag increase.Whether the air should go over or around the car is actually something that should be taken on a case specific basis.Currently,airdams are configured to encourage flow around the sides of vehicles.------------------------- With respect to the template,I'd like everyone to ignore the forebody and contemplate the rear aspect of the car.This is where the low-drag challenge resides.