View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Relay wiring question

So I've installed my DRL's. They're wired to the cig lighter socket, so they turn off when I take the key out of the ignition. But the law here states that DRL's must automatically turn off when the headlights switch on, so I need to hook up some kind of relay. The manual off switch isn't enough, since my headlights automatically turn on when it gets dark, and I might not notice and remember to off the DRL's. In theory I could (and should) just go through the relay that already turns the headlights on, but that is buried somewhere in the bowels of the BSI and fuse box, all neatly sealed so that there is no chance of getting my slimy tentacles in there. I'm thinking that I'll tap into the wire going into one of the headlights (if the bulb burns out and the other light comes on it won't turn the DRL's off, but then I can explain that it's a safety function for burned out bulbs) and put the relay between that signal and mass. The relay and headlight will be wired in parallel, not in series. The DRL's would be wired to the contacts of the relay.

My question is: Should I put a resistor and/or diode in series with the relay coil? If so, what kind? Would the current be too big without a resistor? Is there any special kind of relay I should use, or is a generic 12V OK?

I'd put up a diagram of what I'm planning, but I can't reboot at the moment and don't have any usable drawing tools under this system.

Thanks for any help,
Adam

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread