View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Carlos - you turning into a Palmear on us?

I really can't believe I missed this when it was posted. There was mention of this at the "engineering" fair (obvious exaggeration on the finger quotes, there.) that we had when I was in high school. The mention was extinguished immediately when anyone who knew ANYTHING about street cars (basically, myself, the auto shop teacher, and a few others who raced since they were like... 5.) spoke up and noted the utter stupidity of the sheer thought that this could ever exist in a streetable environment.

Yes, the only cooling that goes on in that radiator is whatever air the engine pulls through and exhausts. That's really all it should need. Look at Basjoos' car, notice the extremely small inlet for his radiator, and the fact that his (well insulated) engine doesn't overheat.

I, too, would like to see under the head of that engine. I'd also like to spend a week or so testing and tuning with it. I'd bet that even under the best circumstances that I could reproduce in the real world, I couldn't even touch 250 MPG with it. (Of course, I'd isolate the air intake through the block, so that it couldn't intake any vaporized oil. I'd still use an air-to-air heat exchanger inside the block, though, so that there couldn't be any mention of "you're not getting it hot enough!!!".)

I mean - seriously - come on, guys. You want to talk about vaporizing fuel, let's try to understand how the fuel system on an injected car works to begin with. The only thing you could do better is to atomize the fuel... and then it wouldn't technically burn at all, at least not in the same way that it burns now.