View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Wheels (Smaller is better)

I've been thinking on my electric car design again...

(And for those that do not worship the ground I walk on and thus have no idea what I'm talking about, (heathens), my electric car design is a ground-up build, with 4-wheel hub-motor drive, 4-wheel steering, 50KWh battery capacity, seating capacity of 6 AND a huge trunk, all wrapped in an aerodynamic shell with a planned curb weight of ~2,500 lbs. Yes, it is still a twinkle in my eye, bite me).

Anyway, I got to thinking about wheels. Looks will be a non-concern on this vehicle, as the wheels and tires will be hidden inside of the bodywork. So I got to thinking about using the smallest wheels possible, for weight reduction as well as altering the ratio on the direct-drive hub motors.

Now my design calls for high-performance, so occasionally I'll be launching off at 150KW, and reaching speeds well into the triple-digits.

How small can I go? I'm thinking there are still some viable tire options at 13", but I'm thinking of going even smaller. How about 10? 8? Is anything made other than low-speed trailer tires at these sizes?