Thread: Less Meat!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #91 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
If anyone is looking to increase his/her nut intake on the cheap, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are a fantastic and cheap way to do it - just throw them in a salad or rice raw or like this. I love walnuts and almonds, but I sure as hell can't grow almonds around here and I don't have access to a cache of walnut trees. The soy issue is a sticky one, as I know a certain someone who did first hand soy research for her master's degree in food and ag. policy. I'm not willing to rule out some caveats of soy, but my girlfriend is one smart cookie, and she's got no reason to worry about soy. Then again we don't eat soy every day.

To stay on topic a little, here's a recipe that I tried out recently and it is AWESOME. The recipe for the barbecue sauce calls for liquid smoke...I don't know any non-foodies that happen to have a bottle of it lying around including myself, so I used adobo sauce from a can of chipotles and smoked paprika instead, and also replaced the brown sugar with maple syrup. Agave nectar would work as well. If you end up trying this, go for at least two cans of hearts of palm. I easily ate all of what the recipe calls for by myself and was only hungry for more.

If anyone's interested, my girlfriend compiled a really nice kosher vegan cookbook for a co-op she started at a local university.