View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Question MPGuino additon? BIG instant speed?

Howdy everyone, I am almost about to get an MPGuino, but I want to see if I can clarify a question about it. Would it be possible with the stock chip, to add a BIG speedo readout?

Here's why:

I drive an '89 Prelude Si. It uses a mechanical speedometer. The 90/91 Preludes do not. Now, the problem with the 88/89's is a gear on the inside of the speedometer wears out. Then your speedo no longer works when YOU want it to, but at it's own discretion. So I almost need the mpguino to double as a speedometer, with the function of the mpg gauge secondary.

Would it be possible to reflash it with a sort of display setting # 10 or something that has a large Instant speed, and a smaller current mpg rating underneath it perhaps?

I don't know about programming, but if it can be done, I'll fork out and get it as soon as I have the extra cash so I can do this. Otherwise, I have to put this on a back burner. I don't mind if I have to overwrite one of the other display settings, I will just learn to get around that one.

I pretty much plan on removing my stock speedo needle, and putting the MPGuino in a fancy case (the LCD anyways), and putting it on top of my speedo.

Why all the extra effort? Because it's a PITA to gauge speed at night with a double yellow to your left. It can be done, but if I'm sleepy or exhausted, I don't want to. That, and oncoming makes doing that a pain.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)