View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Rear skirt braces

Now for the skirts. A visit to the local scrap metal yard got me (at the cost of 1 beer) a 2m profile of 2mm aluminum.

I quickly cut the sides off.

Safety Note: Notice the gloves and earplugs (I still had the glasses on).

I used the 2cm-wide sides for the horizontal reinforcement bars and cut up the center for the mounting tabs. The front of the reinforcement bar, and the two top pieces, hang on plastic pins which hold the plastic liner in place.

The rear tab sqeezes the inward-facing lip, like Darin did here. The first tab, unfortunately, didn't have anything to hang on to, so I bent it, drilled and threaded a hole, stuck it under the plastic liner and put a screw in. Yes, I had to make a 4mm hole in the plastic liner. Sorry CarloSW2, I know I just lost your approval

The rear of the reinforcement bar could be attached to one of three holes under the bumper. Instead of the hole just behind the wheel, I picked the middle one, since that allowed me to taper the bottom of the skirt. I'll build on this when the time comes for a belly pan under the rear.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	katownik1.jpg
Views:	1486
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	3959   Click image for larger version

Name:	katownik2.jpg
Views:	1479
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	3960   Click image for larger version

Name:	pin.jpg
Views:	1252
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	3961   Click image for larger version

Name:	sruba.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	3962   Click image for larger version

Name:	skirtbraces.jpg
Views:	1479
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	3963  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread