View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Rear skirts

A close inspection of the rear wheel well suggested something thinner than 5mm coroplast would be ideal for the skirt itself, so I got two 50x100cm sheets of 0.6mm aluminum. As in Darin's rear skirt thread, I first made a template out of newspaper, then cardboard, and finally aluminum. (BTW: Darin used one sheet of newspaper, I needed 3 taped together to span the wheel well. Does this mean a 15" wheel well is soooo much bigger than a 13", or are newspapers in Nova Scotia larger than in Poland?) As I found out, each template should be larger than the previous. I did this, but the aluminum on the first skirt was barely enough. The reason I needed something thin is that my wheel well's rear is the plastic bumper with a 'lip' that juts inward, while the front is the frame with no 'lip', so I tucked the aluminum sheet inside the well in the front and let it out in the back. This is probably the best way to go as far as being immune to wind.

The finished skirt is secured to the reinforcement bar with four 4mm screws, and the whole setup comes off together using only a screwdriver in about a minute. Putting it back on takes a little longer, but isn't too bad (we'll see how bad it is in the snow, hehehe). Both skirts together weigh less than 1.5kg.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blacha.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	3964   Click image for larger version

Name:	skirtback.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	3965   Click image for larger version

Name:	skirt14.jpg
Views:	1496
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	3966   Click image for larger version

Name:	skirt34.jpg
Views:	1982
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	3967  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread