View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
DRL's and roof rails

As I mentioned earlier, I installed LED DRL's. They use 5.5W each and they save about 200W compared to using headlights (2x55W), position lights (4x5W) and cockpit lights (8x5W-20W). The DRL's are slightly crooked. This is because they are pushed from behind by a plastic wall which isolates the radiator from the rest of the engine bay. I'll cut a bit out next time I'm in there.

I also removed the roof rails. Unfortunately, a lot of cars today have roof rails standard, not optional, so there are no covers ready for the holes in the roof. I carved covers out of coroplast and screwed them in with shorter screws. Replacing the covers back with the rails takes less than 5 minutes (this was one of the WAC - Wife Approval Conditions).

(Those covers look better in the pictures than in real life, eh ) Hopefully the lack of rails on the roof will improve airflow down the Kammback. Each rail weighs about 1.5kg. That's not much, but since it's coming off the roof it will slightly lower the center of gravity.

I've been driving for 2 weeks without the grill block and the coolant temp is just under 80*C. The fan doesn't turn on when the A/C is on. Temperature was around 90*C with the full block, and just over 80*C with the intercooler unblocked. With A/C, the fan would kick in to keep the temp around 80*C. Since the upcoming trip will be at full load, in the mountains and in hot weather, I've decided to keep the grill unblocked. After we return I'll start working on the dual-openable version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drlon.jpg
Views:	1760
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	3968   Click image for larger version

Name:	reling1.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	3969   Click image for larger version

Name:	reling2.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	3970  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread