View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
winkosmosis
Master EcoModder

New Dodge Ram's forward leaning grill

You'd think it would create more drag than a rearward sloping grill, but it apparently doesn't.

Quote:
Style and aesthetics started to give way to practical considerations, like aerodynamics. "We don’t concern ourselves with aero too much when we’re doing theme searching. The thing that concerned senior management most was the grille. I wanted the cant-forward grille but management looked at it and thought it wouldn't work. So we went and built a second version with the grille leaning back but it didn't make a difference (in aerodynamics).
By the time we were done we beat the aerodynamic stretch goal for (the new Ram),"
PickupTruck.com - Ram Tough Choices: Other Designs Chrysler Considered for the 2009 Dodge Ram

Why is this?? I can think of a few possibilities:

1) The crossbar and surround are so thick that even with a rearward-cant grill, they don't smoothly channel air up and over the hood

2) The angle could force more air through the grill. Forcing oncoming air into the engine compartment and out the bottom could create the same drag as throwing turbulent air up over the hood and windshield

3) The angle of the grill, combined with the bumper right below it, funnels air to the sides, past the curved headlights, and along the sides of the truck, with attached flow the whole way

Also, I'm surprised aerodynamics were even a consideration. I'd expect the senior management to care about looks first, and fuel economy second, because presumably a 1mpg difference isn't going to influence sales that much but looking macho vs girly would.