View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
I have had the same models' cars for 12 years and am baffled (pun ) about resonators. It is simply an old subaru, 1781cc. Rather than a short hatchback, it is 14.6 feet to the back, with an up and over an axle like an older car design. My question is for little engine people and resonators. What is a good one? I got advice for a glasspack after the convertor, then a muffler, and I melted the innards of the glasspack. The restriction was just right, but it did not hold up. I exploded 3 factory versions, they are much too small, and hotter than a convertor! I may have even aided and abedded a complete belly pan failure with resonator. OE and 3 main boxers have been torture together as usual. My exhaust is simply 2 inch, straight midpipe, factory y-pipe with convertor and dynomax full chambered muffler. It is great right now, and passes inspections, but bad fuel and cold engine..there is a hint of a spuutering sputter in engine braking, I want it to go away forever.
I am guessing the honda category with the less than 2 liter engines have this same phenomona. they made a resonator universal and throw it at the market, never accounting for very very hot tiny stroke engines. I did find stainless steel, but it is not honeycomed, it is straight through. the straight through leaves a bassy rumble in the interior of my very hardened welded sube.
An acoustic mystery, as well as chemistry and heat to withstand oe convertor not far off...

Any suggestions on a real resonator to match a sube at 2 inch? non-straight through? restrictions are a must avoid..while going for cadillac silence..
Searches on web for hacked up echaust is like finding a mr.gasket plenum that bolted up to an 87 sube..it is never the front page of ebay ya know?
I've never heard of a Honda with this problem, but something I've done on small engines to use as a resonator is to gut the cat from a larger engine, and just place it inline after your OEM cat.

This allows the exhaust gasses to expand and helps to silence them.