Thread: Got a civic
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
reformed
Did you get that thing?

Green Machine - '92 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.98 mpg (US)

Money pit - '97 Infiniti j30
90 day: 22.74 mpg (US)
Ok good, thats what i wanted to hear. I'm fine with less ride quality, too. What kind of mileage increases will I see with the overinflation alone? I've seen people claim 4-5 mpg average.. that seems awful high to me, but I'm new at this, so maybe I'm way off on that.

I've already bypassed the A/C compressor and I'm thinking of doing the same for the power steering pump. My past has been building cars that go fast, so I'm thinking along the lines of parasitic loss elimination to free up some hp, which should translate into better mileage, correct? I've done this on big block muscle cars, and all I did was just run a hose from the in to the out of the rack and fill it with fluid, not quite manual rack operation, but if I got away with it on a car that heavy, I'm sure I will be able to handle the civic.

Any other engine mods I can do for better economy? I'm pretty good with that aspect of cars, so if theres something I can do in that area, I will be more inclined to start there. I was thinking maybe a larger intake, but then I thought about the car's computer correcting for more air, by adding more fuel, which is counterproductive to the goal I'm trying to achieve here, am I right in this assumption that the car will add more fuel?

Also, to address the commute question, Its about 50% city and about 50% open road to work.. maybe more towards 60% city and 40% open road, not highway, just a long stretch of road with no stop signs and no signal lights.