View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
mcmahon.craig
Needz Moar Jiggawatts

Arrgh. Have not been sufficiently motivated to update this thread...until reading the AWESOME EVVette thread. So here goes.

Have mostly been doing dismantlage. Parts are expensive, taking stuff apart is cheap!

So far I have removed the hood, fresh air intake grille, and both front fenders. Cleaned a prodigious amount of pine needles out of these areas (actually, used beer to sucker a friend into doing this). I must say I'm actually sort of liking the dune buggy look for the R12, but the aero would be not so very good.

The rust holes above the headlights are special. Since the R12 has no fender liners, road gunk from the front wheels gets flung to the front and collects on top of the headlight bucket, causing a pretty little rust hole. I will be adding fender liners to this car.

Found a nice little ceramic heat element in the ventilation system. It's operated by HUGE DPST relay on the inside passenger fender. The funny part is that we had no idea it was there before I pulled this thing apart. Now I only have no idea how to operate it from the actual CAR, but the relay works!

The rest of the 12V accessory system appears to be completely nonfunctional, unfortunately. Bleargh. This will take much careful diagnosis (read hearsay and guesswork) to repair.

Also removed the old vacuum pump for the power brakes. I'll be replacing this, and the switch, and the very broken hose to the brake booster.

Also, I removed about 3cm of water from the rear seat area. I will, within the next few days, get the car onto the driveway (where I can open all 4 doors!) so I can get the interior out and see what I'm dealing with there. I'm *hoping* it just puddled on the vinyl carpeting, but seeing the 6/49 results tonight, I'm probably not that lucky.

I'll also be able to see the extent to which the floorboards still exist. The car seems quite stiff so I don't expect to have a problem, but I've been wrong before.

I've been spending the last 2 weekends working on another project for the local EV club that's giving a course starting Saturday on how to convert your own EV. Mostly I've just been trying to learn by osmosis from the local EV guru though.

Also have been working on another little electronic project (for another local EV guy) to be able to isolate (and pre-divide) oscilloscope inputs so you can measure 2 points *without* respect to the same ground (like, say, a shunt and a pack voltage). Should be reasonably accurate but the most I'm looking for is the basic waveform shape. I should be finished the prototype soon.
adamj12b (08-14-2009)