View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
jim-frank
EcoModding Lurker

ScabbySentra - '93 Nissan Sentra SE
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
Mike, I hadn't seriously considered it. Unless the rear end gives me trouble, I'll probably defer tweaking until there's an inescapable reason to do so...

I did build the O2 sensor override circuit, but it didn't have any discernable effect. The engine computer is apparently smart enough to ignore it when I start messing around. If I recall correctly, it *did* cause the engine to stall the first couple of times I tried it, but the ECU ignored it after that.

It's hard to measure any effects that aren't swamped by driving style. I get anywhere from 45-65 mpg on the highway now, just by P&G, keeping rpm's down, and coasting with the clutch out and the tranny in fifth gear.

The fuel injection will shut off entirely after about three-five seconds if the car is pushing the engine.

I've considered using a potentiometer to shift the DC voltage from the hot wire sensor in the airstream into the MAF. That would be an easy way to lean the mixture. However, I don't want to do that until I can also install an exhaust heat sensor that has a low enough thermal mass so that I can see hazardous increases in temperature in just a couple of seconds.

The car has almost 170,000 miles on it now. It leaks oil and power steering fluid, but other than that, is running great.