View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I'm unsure. Mostly because i don't know the figures. There's also the political agenda to consider. Who benefits from this? Who doesn't?
Re: battery powered cars, who benefits there? Who doesn't?
I could drive a battery car and have to replace the batteries in 3 to 4 years. Thats a few k. Maybe 4k? Then i have to charge it. Ideally,thats with PV. Thats got a limited lifespan. All to be factored in. Then theres the "greenness" of the batteries, or lack of.

But, bottom line, the total cost. I forsee being fleeced at the pump, yet again, if i refuel with H2.
Because the powers that be are NOT going to let us enjoy life too much are they?
You can talk all day about emissions but if it costs too much to go anywhere then we will not go anywhere. Where's the Big Oil bottom line there then?

My bottom line is this:

Is this to save the world or save our pockets?

We can all retreat back to the caves and do both. Or we can fall into the "Manmade Global Warming" debate and hand over our entire earnings to some multinational, so they can try "save" the world. I don't doubt that we have added to the fire but i do doubt that it has been that much. I definitely believe that there is a certain amount of scaremongering going on, with regards to the "hydrogen economy" and EV cars in general.
If there was a Hubble Telescope battery available for an EV car then 'd be onto it like a shot! But i don't like the prospect of blowing a few k on a new battery pack every 3 to 4 years. The tech is there but "WE" can't have it. Typical.
I think they are laughing at us.

ollie