View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The clutch vs neutral thing has been debated for decades. Many decades.

In cars I have the following opinion: holding the clutch means that throw-out bearing is working against the spring loading of the clutch pressure plate. That is a considerable force. Putting the trans in neutral means some things are spinning and some things aren't, but nothing is under any real loading. Therefore I like going into neutral best.

It's different on a bike. Depending on the bike, it can be somewhat difficult to get neutral, especially from cruise speed. I've done it. The trans sounds "clashy" or "crashy" on the downshifts unless you are going slow. I don't think it's a healthy sound. I no longer try to do that unless I'm going relatively slow anyway.

Then there is the holding the clutch thing. All I've referenced above regarding that holds true for bikes; in addition, you have to hold it with your hand. Depending on how long/frequent the glides are, that can become onerous.

On a bike I'd suggest simply regulating your "glide" as well as you can with just the throttle. Not as good as a car, but oh well, that's what we have to work with unless you are ambitious enough to fit a freewheel system.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 08-08-2009 at 04:05 AM..