View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
2000mc
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermie View Post
TO STAY ON TOPIC: THE LIST SO FAR!

1. Roof-mounted vortex generators when a rear wing/spoiler is present

2. Tire spats

3. Rear diffuser

4. Front Air Dam
i think lunarhighway pretty much hit it on the head already

#1 you dont have one so dont worry about it
#2 try it
#3 make an undertray instead, then you could try it, without a smooth underbody it could only create drag
#4 try it unless youre trying #3

personally on my saturn i've extended the air dam so that its wider, and extends in front of the tires so its like i have tire spats in front. i haven't been able to detect any change in mileage good or bad. but i kept it on because the car seems less affected by cross winds when driving on the highway or interstate. if it improves handling any other way, it has been undectable to me.

i would also like to improve my mileage while improving handling of my own car (or as you think of it, reduce drag and improve down force) but i don't think down force or lift matters much below triple digit speeds, and if you're going that fast, you'd probably let down force trump drag anyway. if you have plenty of ground clearance for where you normally drive, and if lowering springs are available for your car, buy some. i'd like to when i can afford doing it... my tires are needing to be replaced soon, so i've been looking for tires that have the best grip and least rolling resistance.

btw, anyone know of a better tire for that in a 175 70 14 than michelin harmony that isnt worthless in snow?