View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Offroadford4x4
EcoModding Lurker

New guy, and I only get 8 mpg

Hello, Name is Ron. Live outside of Harrisburg Pa. Just stumbled on this site and I am very intrigued by it. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 93 Ford Tempo 2.3 auto to take over the daily driver duties of my customized pick up truck (which only averages 8 mpg). And I've been looking into some little things here and there to improve overall efficiency, performance (as in HP and TQ figures) and mileage. Now I know a Tempo is no race car, but I'd like a lil more power for when I need it driving in heavy traffic each day. I know thats not what you all do here so I'll keep away from that. But I'm here to try and learn ways to improve the MPG of the car. The best thing I can think of which would net me nearly 10 mpg on this car would to be swap out the 3 speed auto trans in favor of a 5 speed manual. Plus the manual improves acceleration too. But unfortunately a manual trans would render the car useless to my wife should she ever need to drive it.

I'll never get rid of my truck though. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, plus I take it to shows, and work it hard too. Just don't want to drive it every day anymore. And I plan to take it even more extreme, more lift, bigger tires, maybe even a bigger built HiPo V8.