View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
robchalmers
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Corsa can be very frugal even , in town which engine are you running? Petrol/diesel? I think as above the best thing to do is check the driving techniques section – As there is always something to try or learn. A couple of things I’ve been trying recently which seem to help are

Traffic Light gauging – If you toddling up to a set of lights that have just changed and you now you’ll be stopped for more than 10-15second switch the engine off.

Stretch you’re legs – depress the brake and clutch as far as you can then shift your seat back until you are the furthest back and still able to apply that force to the pedals, Recently I’ve seen the results of a clutch that had been ridden (just the weight of your foot on the pedal constantly, although not consciously depressing it) and it only managed 8-9000 miles in my friend’s Clio. I’m also betting that the that foot weight on the throttle will also have an effect too (that’s why I’m trying it too)

If you are doing motorway driving – aero mods can be easily done to the C and be reversible – things like the plastic arch lips on the car can be found cheaply at scrap yards pattern Shops and then modded keeping you originals clean for when you sell the car. Things I’d suggest aero wise:

Grille block – dead easy to do on the C with a bit of corrugated plastic
Lower it – plenty of cheap spring kits out there thanks to the street racer market
Under tray - in 2003 there was a ‘ECO-life’ version of the C it had a specifically design under tray to reduce drag and if I remember it can be retro fitted to any C. it may be hard to find though

Other than that- just take out all unnecessary weight out of the car, rubbish, books, shoes, everything to If you want to take seats out -its up to you!

twitter.com/bertchalmers