Thread: Success, kinda!
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
Thanks for the replies.I was looking at one of my cables today, and there was a little corrosion on it. Is it true that copper can store electricity? I was told today that they could cause a voltage drop by not releasing the electricity through the cables, as they act like capacitors. Would a washer provide some insulation between the battery post and the cable end? I will be looking into some way to put a coating on them, solder sounds like a good solution. any thoughts on the controller question? Take care, Watt
I dunno about the capacitor effect, but I'll explain quickly how to get properly sized cable lugs for ~4 cents per lug:

Instructions:
  1. Buy soft copper tubing that your wire's casing fits into.
  2. Cut your pieces so the length is 3x the diameter of the tubing you're cutting.
  3. Crimp just one end of the tubing that you're using for the lug, but not far... like 1-2mm.
  4. Strip your wire back so that 1-2mm of the casing fits into the lug still.
  5. Using a light hammer, begin tapping the crimped end until you've flattened your lug about 1/2 way up.
  6. Drill hole that matches your project's size.
  7. Fill the other end with solder if you feel that you need to, then seal with either liquid tape or heat shrink tubing.
I've done this for just about every time I've needed a lug, and haven't had any problems that I know of yet. (Customer parts, etc.)

Maybe I'll do a pictorial write-up on it someday..

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
watt-a-mezz (08-13-2009)