View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Shifty
Mad Scientist

Update finally

Well It has been almost a year since I last posted but the blue car is almost done. I had been working on it for a while but school and life just got in the way of regular work and updates.

So now I am going to post some pictures and explanations of how it was done in case anyone works on a car like this.

This picture is the bracket we made to hold the controller and other electronics above the motor. What you cant see is the rubber we put down on this later to help with vibrations going to the controller.

Next up is the picture of the controller and all the electronics finally mounted in the car. This is a picture of the car in its pretty much final state. You can drive it around right now though it feels a bit weird to drive it still.

In the upper right you can see the throttle control, its just a normal 5K pot hooked up to the controller. The mess of stuff to the right is outputs for lights and other things that I don't really need to use. I ended up securing them better in the end. The controller uses a liquid cooled system but with a 3 gallon tank and a small pump it doesn't really need a radiator. The temperature stays in range unless you are really pushing it.

This is a close up of the inter locks and the precharge switch. Both of the tall black cylinders are 450 V relays and the rest is electronics associated with turning on the Dolphin controller slowly.

Last but not least is the user control system for the car. Since I messed up the ignition system the key is only good for unlocking the steering wheel. So the key always stays in the ignition. To run the car you have to throw the switches a certain way to turn it on then put it in drive. These also control Regen and how the dolphin is set. So far no one has tried to steal if

This car runs good and has surprising acceleration when it is floored but due to the fact of only having red top optimas (not deep cycle) I do not drive it far, 5 to 10 miles between charges until i get better batteries. The only trouble that has happened so far is flat tires.