View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
stevet47
Eco Dreamer

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Go on Nissan Frontier / Navara Forum and buy a used set of Nismo skidplates cheap from someone who took them off for Shrockworks skidplates. They are pretty light weight, but will still protect you offroad. They have some holes in them (i guess to reduce weight) which would mess with aero, but you could just cover the holes with packing tape.

I'd also throw some chloroplast under the truck to cover the spare tire area all the way to the rear bumper.

The side mirrors fold in, and leave a nice teardrop shaped front profile, so keep them folded in when not needed.

I put a grill block on mine, and didn't see any FE improvements, but I only covered the side opening on the top grill, I think you could cover the whole top grill and see some gains with no worries of overheating, the radiator is mounted real low, so it gets plenty of air from the lower opening.

Also, some guys on clubfrontier.org saw gains from replacing the clutch driven fan with an electric unit.

Keep working on your hypermiling skills to. I drive a Nismo with ~300lbs of offroad armor, 5 1/2" of lift and 34" mud tires and I can get 22mpg on the highway, up from 16-17mpg before hypermiling. And I don't even pulse&glide, I just do the basics, and neutral coast/engine on, as much as possible.

Last edited by stevet47; 08-16-2009 at 10:17 PM..