View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #255 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I realize the summer months aren't the best for testing/using my EBH but I just got it installed and am trying to guage it's impact on FE...even in the summer.

Before leaving work today I plugged in for 1.5 hours and upon ignition my engine temp was 143 degrees in 86 degree ambient temp. This compared favorably to yesterday when being plugged in for 1 hour when upon ignition my engine temp was 123 degrees in 78 degree ambient temp. The extra half hour of heating (plus 8 degree higher ambient temp) produced 20 more degrees in engine temp.

For real world results, the 1.5 hours of heating today produced a few positive results for my commute home:
1. I was up to temp (157 degrees) within 1/4 mile and 2 minutes of my parking space which usually takes me about a mile and 4-5 minutes to get to that temp.
2. My first 5 minutes mpg was 54 mpg where it is usually is between 35-40 in similar temps on this route.
3. My 11 mile commute home was almost 66 mpg which is about 1.5-2 better mpg than I can usually achieve on this route. This isn't a huge increase in overall mpg but a positive result as I usually get less mpg on my way home from work than to work so I didn't lose any mpg vs. my current overall mpg of 65.8.

Plugging in at work is very easy right now as I have a nice system in place and it's in a safe area where nobody should be messing with my gear. Home is a different story...still working on that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Herring For This Useful Post:
SVOboy (08-17-2009)