Thread: Solar Roof
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
You've got about three square metres on the roof of your Caravan. And I can't help but think about just how much space there is in the back - "Alternator? No, no...I just rely on these batteries and a remote-mounted fusion generator."
Every one of the earlier mods listed leads up to** (see above post) an engine delete.

A very small TD generator will provide alternate power for longer trips, though they won't really be necessary. The rear floor pan, I intend to cut out and put a flush mount battery box into. There's 48" of usable space between the rear plastics, and excellent ground clearance to sink 8" tall batteries into the floor.

I measured it out once, I can fit 120V at least back there with normal car-sized batteries. (I can't remember what size battery I have, but it's a 1000CA from wally world - I can pretty much fit 10 of them behind the axle.)
Then, with two more boxes, I could fit 10 more on each side of the car near the sliding door sills, for a total of 360VDC, or 3 banks of 120VDC, etc.

I just don't like to postulate on it, because the more I talk about it, the more ideas that I can't afford pop into my head.