View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
pickup aero

In 1981,Dr.Timothy Maxwell et.al.,with Texas Tech Aero Lab,Dept.of Mechanical Engineering,published a SAE report on windtunnel tests conducted on pickup models,with subsequent tests conducted in full-scale with a F-150 at Lockheed,Marrietta,GA., tunnel.The graphical table appeared in Sport Truck Magazine,Dr. Maxwell and Pat Nixon( Sr.Advisor to graduate studies,Texas Tech Aero Lab),toured the truck show circuit in the U.S. in the 1980s.It was their "aerocap" which was the inspiration for my cap on the Dodge and Toyota.I guess people can research this stuff to death if they want to,but if universities are duplicating effort,its a waste of precious resources.I think pickup airflow is now firmly understood and people ought to just build what's been known to work for a long time now.There aren't going to be any "breakthroughs",Earthlings need to move on to new challenges.I think I posted a photo of the Texas Tech graphic table at maxmpg in the misc.photo section.You'll have to look for it,as there are over 250 photos there.