View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
BullFrog2
EcoModding Lurker

Hello All:

My wife and I just got a 2009 Honda Sport Fit with 5 spd. using the C4C rebate. Her first two tankfuls were 43.3 MPG (calculated) on rural roads and a little town driving; she is a careful, slow driver, but does no hypermiling. The little MPG meter was a little optimistic @ 49.5 MPG. I have not had a chance to check the odometer so there may be some additional correction later. Tires were pumped up to 38 psi for most of the driving.

The Fit is a great choice for a hatchback or a mini-minivan, offering excellent handling, comfortable seats, lots of interior space and airbags everywhere. Acceleration is almost as good as my '95 Acura Integra (basically a Honda Civic B-18B1 engine, 5 spd and Civic chassis) which gets about 35.0 MPG in similar, but more spirited driving. If the Fit lasts as long as my Acura (300,000+ miles with the worst repair being a clutch replacement), I'll be delighted!

In my opinion, Honda engineering and reliability is superb, especially at the price. And I have had 50 years of driving BMWs, Jags, MGs, Fords, Chevys, Datsuns, Toyotas, Dodges, VWs, Porsches, Plymouths, Mitsubushis, Triumphs, Austin-Healeys and even a Berkley (does anyone remember those?). The Honda products are simply the best of the lot and consistently get excellent FE in normal driving.