View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Julian -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Edgar View Post

It can be easily adjusted over a wide range, so is quite suitable for 'average drivers'.

Scan Gauge? Well, FuelSmart is far easier to use, far cheaper, and suits cars for which a Scan Gauge is not available. Locally, that's literally millions of cars.
Very interesting gizmo, when will part two be posted? Is it offered as a Jaycar kit?

In your article you write :

Quote:
Second, it is always easier to spot an indicator LED showing that something is wrong, rather than constantly watching the sweep of the gauge needle. In fact, the LED can be sensed without even directly looking at it.
I find that lights often become "invisible" to me over time. I have to consciously look at them to see if they are on. For hard core people like us, you could have some alternate wiring that might look like so :

Green LED = optimum driving (EDIT: You already have an Orange LED)

Red LED = bad driving
Buzzer (that can be disabled) = bad driving

With the "buzzer" option, the sound could be training the driver without having to look at the dashboard.

Also, are all MAP sensors the same? I get the impression that there are multiple flavors of map sensors. But maybe you are stating that limitation in the "At a glance ..." section.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 08-17-2009 at 06:03 PM..