View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Luxbg
EcoModding Lurker

03 OZ - '03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally
90 day: 34.67 mpg (US)
Getting started with modding and planning a road trip

I came across this place while planning a road trip and have since caught the eco-modding bug. I've done a lot of reading around the site but I have a few questions before I get started, just to make sure I get everything right and I'm looking forward to installing my newly order sgII as soon as it gets here!

Here goes:
  • My Lancer recently had some idling problems and the mechanic told me they were caused by a dirty the throttle body. Since I bought the car used I don't know how well taken care of it was and I'm thinking I wouldn't mind giving it a good cleaning. I've been using STP Fuel system cleaner since I had the idling problems a couple weeks ago, so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and give it the seafoam treatment or should I just finish the STP treatment and then switch to a TC-W3 oil additive as discussed here?
  • My manual recommends 26/29 psi tire pressure(this seems awfully low to me?). I currently have 44 psi rated tires on the car and the last time I got an oil change, the mechanic put in 32 psi. Can I put in 40 or 42 psi without worrying too much about the huge difference between the manual and the actual pressure?
  • What would be an best/easiest DIY mod to start with? Grill blocking? I'm thinking I can start with the two left and right slots without having to worry about sufficient cooling too much. (not my car, but here is what it looks like)
  • I'm in the process of planning a 7000 mile road trip for next summer with a couple friends and we will be using my car. What are some recommendations for doing such a long (mostly highway) trip? I was thinking of removing my rear wing (again, not my car, but here is what it looks like), but couldn't find any good info on whether that would be worth it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!