View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
jasonck08
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTimson View Post
My Tercel has been my 'learning' car, and it's been great - learned how to drive a stick, how to change wheel bearings, learned about major engine components, learned what does what in the engine bay, and, learned how to eco-drive.

A '90 liftback would be sweet, but you have to find out if it's carbureted or fuel injected. If it's carbureted, I wouldn't really bother, because it'll be annoying to deal with, MPG-wise. If it's FI'd, then you'll probably have to do some maintenance, but it's not too bad. Timing belt, valve stem seals, and misc. gaskets should be enough. I'd take a good look at it though, and make sure it's not too rusted out, since it's about 20 years old now. Wheel well rust is pretty common, but if there's a lot on the underside, and on brake lines, fuel lines, and the gas tank, it might not be worth it.
It's an EFI and not a carbed car. $500 for a Tercel in decent shape w/ only 89K seems like a very good deal. I do like the Paseo, but its hard to find one. Im to looking for something that I can do some work on. The tercel seems to have a fairly easy to work on layout, and thats why I'm leaning towards it.