View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #82 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
Nice post. Thanks.

Also please keep us up on the aero fairing. This is where I want to go on the next bike I buy (prolly a ninjette) and there appears to be interest in a subculture of ninja 250 mileage geeks. Not sure of your plans for the fairing, such as if you plan on manufacturing or marketing it, but I'll stand up as interested in buying a copy.

Related recommendation: Rent the movie "The worlds fastest Indian". Motorcycles, speed records, a really good story to get you inspired to do what they say can't be done.
If i do actually go ahead with it, ill be starting sometime in the winter when its snowing and i can't ride my bike. At this time, i have no plans of manufacturing the fairing as I'm a 22yr old college student and I'll be doing this in my garage by hand. It takes a lot of labor hours to make a fairing like this.

I had a friend make my a quick 3d mockup in 3DS Max of what the fairing could look like. It follows the NACA 67-025 foil shape and tapers rearward as you go up the fairing. Also, the top is also the same foil laid on its side, and then tapers smoothly to meet the rest of the fairing. So heres a visual:

This is the NACA 67-025 foil.

Front

Rear

The fairing will be about 10 feet long and 2.5 feet wide. It will be made entirely of fiberglass because i have worked with it before and already know the tricks. I'm thinking the top bubble i could make entirely of lexan or something similar, which would allow me a full 360* of view. As for getting in an out of the fairing, i plan on making a door on a hinge from the left side of the bike with a push release latch (like some cabinet doors are).

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today

Last edited by theycallmeebryan; 08-19-2009 at 11:33 AM..