View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #83 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
If i do actually go ahead with it, ill be starting sometime in the winter when its snowing and i can't ride my bike. At this time, i have no plans of manufacturing the fairing as I'm a 22yr old college student and I'll be doing this in my garage by hand. It takes a lot of labor hours to make a fairing like this.

I had a friend make my a quick 3d mockup in 3DS Max of what the fairing could look like. It follows the NACA 67-025 foil shape and tapers rearward as you go up the fairing. Also, the top is also the same foil laid on its side, and then tapers smoothly to meet the rest of the fairing. So heres a visual:

This is the NACA 67-025 foil.

Front

Rear

The fairing will be about 10 feet long and 2.5 feet wide. It will be made entirely of fiberglass because i have worked with it before and already know the tricks. I'm thinking the top bubble i could make entirely of lexan or something similar, which would allow me a full 360* of view. As for getting in an out of the fairing, i plan on making a door on a hinge from the left side of the bike with a push release latch (like some cabinet doors are).
So what happens when you dump the bike? Have you considered the greenhouse effect that will occur with a lexan upper "bubble"? Could get pretty hot in there without any ventilation, ya know?

Why not look at the recumbent thing that Craig Vetter did with his little moped thingy? (Sounds pretty specific, doesn't it?)