View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #88 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
I dont ever plan on dumping the bike. But i understand what you are saying. What if i dump the bike and there is no way for me to get the bike upright? I'll just be laying in the road like a fish out of water . I surely will design the fairing to accommodate that.

As far as getting hot, thats where NACA vent's come into play. They aerodynamically draw air into the shell without significantly effecting overall drag. You see them on a lot of airplanes and race cars. I probably will make the bubble removable for blistering hot days.

I think by recumbent you mean sitting leaning back a little? Craig's streamliner was a Honda Helix 250 scooter, and he designed his fairing around a fish shape. I am taking a similar approach. The main difference is that craigs bike was a scooter and mine is a sport bike, so the fairings are going to look a bit different because of the different seating arrangements.
The one posted above is actually a Kawasaki KX250, single cylinder 4 stroke.

The seating position was re-configured from straight up to recumbent (leaned back, la-z-boy style.

The fairing could look quite different, I agree. I've also seen many fully enclosed designs, such as Burt's Bonneville fairing (Fastest Indian), except he used part of his body as the upper part of the fairing, seated in sport-bike configuration, so that while tucked, he was the upper line of the fairing, and the bike could still be ridden somewhat upright as well.

Just shooting some ideas out there for you, so you don't overlook anything, and maybe you'll find/solve a problem with something. Here's to safety and good luck with the design!