View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Thumbs up HHO on a diesel: I did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kansas View Post
Looking to buy a diesel car and add some type of hho producer to increase milage. Talk to me.
Well, I will try to answer your question: I did installed a HHO generator in my diesel car. Read on before form an opinion...

It is a 6-in-line diesel, normally aspirated.

It is my third version. It produces so much HHO that I have to install a pump to blow it out of the producing "engine", otherwise, it is filled with the HHO gas and the producing surface diminish too much.

I estimate the production to be about 10 times as much as my first version, using only 70% of the total current.

The system has a lot of problems to be solved, though.

First of all, before continuing to develop it, I need a hard figures numbers test to see if it is worth the try.

Yes, I have read lots of literature and opinions about it. From people saying it is a failure to people saying they got 50% improvement. Passing for people saying it cannot work as it would violate the second law of Thermodynamics or such.

My approach is different: I will measure it with a reliable mean. What mean?
Something that can give me the car performance MPG in real time. Something with which I can turn HHO on and off and watch the difference.

"Fundamentalists" say I am wasting my time, because, as it is a closed system, then it will spend more energy than energy produced. It would be true, if it was a closed system. But it isnīt: water is coming in as a source of energy, as well as petrol or diesel is coming in.

So, in my opinion, there is only one way to demostrate, for good or for bad: testing it in a correct way.

Besides, you may get a system that is 20% efficient (it produces 20% of energy spent), and turn it into a 50% efficient system, or 80% efficient, etc. The idea of engineering is precisely that: to make a system more and more efficient.

I have some ideas to improve my system further. But even if I construct a 120% efficient system, the HHO generation has some extra problems to be solved, before become a trustable system.

For instance, make the electrolite solution last long and not become degraded. Avoid the production of foam (my pump allows lot of HHO to come out, but produces foam that interfere with the necessary contact between steel and the solution).

I do not trust on my prototype as it was the last time I tested it. So far.

Other inneficiences it had: it was always producing, even going down a slope. Going down the gas was wasted, but the battery continued to make electrolisis. I need to make production controled with throttle position, for instance. This will improve efficiency further.

All that potential improvements are waiting my MPGuino (or such) to work in my car. I am developing a version of it suitable for diesel cars.

That is it.

Hope I answered your question.

OldBeaver

The Following User Says Thank You to oldbeaver For This Useful Post:
Olympiadis (12-26-2011)