View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
chuckm
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
"Fundamentalists" say I am wasting my time, because, as it is a closed system, then it will spend more energy than energy produced. It would be true, if it was a closed system. But it isnīt: water is coming in as a source of energy, as well as petrol or diesel is coming in.
I'm going to be a thorough as possible here.
Water, from a thermochemical standpoint, is not a energy source. Hydrogen gas (in combination with oxygen, of course) is an energy source. The process of splitting the chemical bonds between the hydrogen and the oxygen is an energy intensive process, as evidenced by the electrical input requirements. The oxidation of hydrogen gas is an energy releasing process, as evidenced by the heat produced. From a physical chemistry standpoint, that means the potential thermochemical energy of water is lower than that of oxygen and hydrogen, at the same pressure and temperature. The energy balance is one to one; that is, the energy expended dissociating the hydrogen and oxygen would be exactly equal to the energy produced by hydrogen oxidation, but only in a 100% efficient system. Inefficiencies, however, are unavoidable. If any component of your HHO generator gets the slightest bit warm, then your system is consuming more energy than it is releasing in useful (ie motive) energy. Unless the energy to dissociate the water was brought in from outside your car (externally charged battery, solar cell, etc), it is absolutely impossible that there can be a net energy gain. Like I said earlier, TANSTAAFL. The laws of thermodynamics will not be mocked.

Last edited by chuckm; 08-20-2009 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: slight clarification